Why Can Neodymium Magnets Be Dangerous?

Why Can Neodymium Magnets Be Dangerous?

Neodymium magnets are 10 times stronger than ordinary magnets and therefore pose a great danger to TVs and laptops, computer hard drives, credit and ATM cards, data storage media devices such as mechanical watches or hearing aids as well as speakers.

Magnets may interfere with pacemakers and implanted heart defibrillators, according to studies. Researchers have discovered that strong permanent magnets within 24 centimeters of these devices may alter them significantly.
They are ten times stronger than ordinary magnets

Neodymium magnets are one of the strongest permanent magnets ever developed; first introduced into use during the 1980s. Today they're used in applications as diverse as hard disk drives, door latches and magnetic jewelry.

Neodymium magnets feature extremely high coercivity - this refers to the maximum force that can be exerted upon it without it losing its magnetism - an essential characteristic for magnetic safety, as it determines how sensitive devices are to magnetic fields.

Strength of neodymium magnets depends on their coercivity and manufacturing method. Sintered neodymium magnets generally range between 750 Hc to 2000 Hc while bonded ones have about 600 Hc to 1200 Hc of coercivity.

Neodymium magnets' strength makes them dangerous. If someone puts their hand between two magnets or becomes stuck between a magnet and metal piece, this could result in serious injuries or even broken bones.

Manufacturers should take great care when packing their neodymium magnets to protect them from potential damage, including placing them near mechanical stressors like load bearing situations or exposure to extreme temperatures. It is also advisable to avoid placing these magnets near mechanical stress, such as in load bearing situations or when exposed to extreme temperatures.

Neodymium magnets pose another significant danger when used around pacemakers or implanted medical devices like ICDs and defibrillators, especially those that contain pacemakers. Neodymium magnets' field strength may reach 10 Gauss or higher and cause interference that causes these devices to malfunction.

Neodymium magnets are susceptible to corrosion and should be stored in an airtight container to protect them from water and chemicals that could potentially erode them and weaken them over time. As they should not be exposed directly to these elements, storing your neodymium magnets away can protect them from becoming dehydrated or damaged over time.

These materials can become extremely hot, making them highly flammable under Restriction of Use of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) standards - making them risky to transport to foreign markets.

Neodymium magnets should not be shipped overseas due to restrictions imposed by both the International Air Transport Association and US federal regulations, which stipulate packaging of such magnets so as to avoid creating excessive magnetic fields when air transport is used for shipping them.
They can be swallowed

Swallowing several neodymium magnets from a broken magnetic block can result in serious and sometimes life-threatening gastrointestinal injuries, according to NHS. Swallowing more than one magnet may lead to compression of bowel tissue and necrosis of either the intestines or blood vessels if treated quickly, said NHS.

Rare earth magnets composed of iron, boron and neodymium can impede normal blood flow by trapping digestive tissue in the gut and impeding normal movement of digestive fluids. Surgery may be required to extract these magnets and correct their damage.

Recent survey by the National Association of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology (NASPGHAN) demonstrated that ingestion of neodymium magnets by children is an increasingly prevalent complication, as more than 80 cases were reported between 2002 and 2012. Most patients required endoscopic removal or surgical repair to their bowel.

Neodymium magnets can be particularly hazardous to young children because of the way they attract each other in the stomach, trapping multiple magnets inside and resulting in necrosis or perforation of their gastrointestinal tract.

Doctors advise that children who have consumed neodymium magnets be seen immediately at a nearby hospital and provided with urgent x-rays and guidance on how to seek surgical referrals, if required.

The NHS Safety Alert issued on 21 February 2019 is designed to ensure that any patient showing signs or symptoms of ingestion receives prompt assessment and treatment, including x-rays to determine if he or she has swallowed magnets and how far into their GI tract they have traveled.

Dr Adam Noel from Children's Hospital of New Orleans and his colleagues reviewed literature to create an algorithm for assessing and treating ingestions of neodymium magnets in children. It includes a step-by-step evaluation method designed to minimize potential complications that might occur within patients' bodies.

NASPGHAN expert panel created its algorithm after an informal poll among its members revealed that more than 80 children with neodymium magnet ingestion required surgery or endoscopy for removal from their bowel. Therefore, their algorithm suggests that any child who may have swallowed magnets be seen at their local NHS hospital immediately and referred for surgical procedures as necessary.
They can be crushed

Neodymium magnets are fragile, meaning that when they collide they can peel, chip, crack and shatter easily if mishandled improperly - this makes them highly hazardous to use and requires safety goggles and gloves when handling.

These magnets are constructed primarily from rare-earth metals like neodymium, iron and boron to make the strongest magnet available today and used across a variety of applications.

Hard drives, microphones, earphones and loudspeakers rely on power batteries as sources of power; similarly they're found in many medical devices such as dentures or door catches.

Most neodymium magnets are manufactured through sintered processes, which involves compacting and forming a solid mass of magnetized powder without melting to liquefaction. Sintered magnets often come with nickel or copper plating to protect against corrosion in outdoor environments.

Neodymium magnets that have not been properly protected against exposure to the elements can quickly deteriorate over time due to their high iron content and being made from ferromagnetic material neodymium, potentially becoming dislodged and leading to serious injury or even death if they come in contact with people.

Sintered neodymium magnets can be very hard to separate from each other, especially when bought in sets that include spacers to prevent their separation.

To increase their durability, magnets are frequently covered with nickel, copper or gold plating to prevent them from rusting or wearing away during regular usage.

Neodymium magnets are some of the strongest magnets available and therefore pose serious hazards if used incorrectly. Children should never handle them; they pose a choking hazard and could possibly break apart in your stomach and lead to severe health complications that require emergency surgery for repairs.
They can shatter

Neodymium magnets are capable of peeling, chipping, cracking and shattering when brought together and allowed to collide, potentially leading to serious injuries including eye injuries. Furthermore, when broken apart into smaller pieces and launched at high speeds they can cause serious harm to people or objects nearby.

When handling neodymium magnets, wear appropriate safety gloves and keep the magnets away from other magnetically sensitive surfaces and tools. Do not attempt to cut or drill into these magnets as the dust generated can be extremely flammable and hazardous.

Strong neodymium magnets can interfere with pacemakers, ICDs and other implanted medical devices which deactivate when exposed to strong magnetic fields, as well as credit/ATM cards, data storage media devices mechanical watches hearing aids and speakers. Furthermore, strong magnetic fields can damage these items.

Magnets can damage televisions, VCRs, computer monitors and CRT displays. Furthermore, they pose a potential fire hazard if chipped or two or more magnets slam together as the sparks they produce can ignite nearby materials such as wood or paper, sparking flames.

Avoid these risks by storing magnets in a cool, dry environment and limiting their contact with sensitive electronic equipment like magnetic tapes or cathode ray tubes (CRTs). Furthermore, try not to store neodymium magnets next to ceramic magnets or any combination thereof, as this will demagnetize both materials simultaneously and possibly result in reduced strength for both.

Always store neodymium magnets in their original Dura packaging when not being used, particularly if used in hazardous environments or stored near magnetically sensitive materials.

When shipping neodymium magnets, ensure they are packed to prevent them from attaching to steel surfaces during transportation (air or ground). This step is especially essential if they will be sent as air cargo.

Neodymium magnets should be protected against corrosion by coating them in nickel/copper/nickel, epoxy or parylene to protect from humid and damp environments. To do so effectively.